System Config Tools Cleanup Project - tools to eliminate/replace

Jaroslav Reznik jreznik at redhat.com
Wed Mar 25 08:37:23 UTC 2009

On Wednesday 25 March 2009 04:08:11 Tom Diehl wrote:
> On Tue, 24 Mar 2009, Chuck Anderson wrote:

> >> Which I guess is OK if you are not setting up the system with the dhcp
> >> server AND the box you are setting up has X installed. Does NM have a
> >> command line interface? Not that I have seen but I could have missed it.
> >
> > NM supports static IP addresses configured in
> > /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-ethX, or you could enable the
> > keyfile plugin to use INI-like files to specify network configuration.
> > If you set ONBOOT=yes, you don't even need to interact with NM in any
> > way--it should just work.  If you need to wait for the network before
> > continuing the system boot up, set NETWORKWAIT=yes in
> > /etc/sysconfig/network.
>
> Well maybe I mis-understood then. I thought
> /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-ethX was going away. If that is
> incorrect then I do not understand what all of the complaining is
> about.

Network-scripts are part of initscripts, s-c-n is only TUI/GUI configuration
tool. So these scripts stays until something better is designed (I'm not sure
how netcf - mentioned in this thread - works).

If we have another tool that's able to edit configuration and use network-
scripts then it's nonsense to have both doing same. So now the question is
what's missing in NM edit connections (not in standalone NM) and if it is
worth to add it there or let it alone in s-c-n or only let possibility to do
it manually (and for servers it's my preferred way to have control over
configuration).

Jaroslav

--
Jaroslav Řezník <jreznik at redhat.com>