System Config Tools Cleanup Project - tools to eliminate/replace

Dan Williams dcbw at redhat.com
Wed Mar 25 15:27:16 UTC 2009

> On Tue, 2009-03-24 at 17:10 +0100, Jaroslav Reznik wrote:
>
> > * system-config-display
> >   - xrandr should be used for resolution/dualhead configuration, Gnome & KDE
> > have
> >     own xrandr based display configuration tool
>
> Only for RandR 1.2-based drivers, note. Although as of F11 we should be
> shipping RandR 1.2 drivers for the three major card types by default for
> the first time (radeon, nouveau, intel).
>
> > * system-config-network
> >   - replacement NetworkManager
> >   - missing IPv6? routing?
>
> Quite a lot of people still don't want to use NetworkManager. It makes
> little sense on a system which just sits there connected to a static IP
> address 24/7.

NM also doesn't write out ifcfg files, which s-c-n is still pretty good
at.  I hope to land that functionality for F11, but I think s-c-n still
has one release left in it, at least.  Doesn't hurt to keep both around,
as long as the cooperate with each other (something I'll be working on
too).  Maybe just don't install it by default when NM is installed by
default, but keep it available.

Dan