System Config Tools Cleanup Project - tools to eliminate/replace

chasd chasd at silveroaks.com
Wed Mar 25 17:59:43 UTC 2009

> * system-config-display

There are still cases ( corner cases, granted ) where the no-
xorg.conf-auto-foo doesn't quite work, and s-c-d gets you to a better
working X. I muck with xorg.conf so rarely I forget the directives
and syntax between each time - editing by hand is painful.

When using older monitors that don't have the talkie-talkie to tell
the graphics card what resolution it supports, choosing a model from
the list in s-c-d gets a list of resolutions known to work. s-c-d
makes it much easier to switch between drivers to see which one
better supports what is in your machine.

The KMS drivers kinda made s-c-d more useful, I hadn't needed it for
a while.

Matthew Woehlke :

> Bill pointed out that this is not installed by default, which is fine.
> I'd say we should keep it that way; available and working for those
> that
> need it, but not installed by default.

Puts s-c-d in maintenance limbo.
It might already be in that position.

> * system-config-httpd

Is this why the apache config file(s) don't more closely match
upstream ?
I'm the opposite of s-c-d here, I know the httpd.conf directives from
memory,
I don't need a GUI to help me, plus I don't run X on the systems that
run httpd.

Instead of editing httpd.conf ( the old apache 1.3.x way ), it should
add or subtract whole files in /etc/httpd/conf.d

--
Charles Dostale