Re: System Config Tools Cleanup Project - tools to eliminate/replace

* system-config-display

There are still cases ( corner cases, granted ) where the no- xorg.conf-auto-foo doesn't quite work, and s-c-d gets you to a better working X. I muck with xorg.conf so rarely I forget the directives and syntax between each time - editing by hand is painful.

When using older monitors that don't have the talkie-talkie to tell the graphics card what resolution it supports, choosing a model from the list in s-c-d gets a list of resolutions known to work. s-c-d makes it much easier to switch between drivers to see which one better supports what is in your machine.

The KMS drivers kinda made s-c-d more useful, I hadn't needed it for a while.

Matthew Woehlke :

Bill pointed out that this is not installed by default, which is fine.
I'd say we should keep it that way; available and working for those that
need it, but not installed by default.

Puts s-c-d in maintenance limbo.
It might already be in that position.

* system-config-httpd

Is this why the apache config file(s) don't more closely match upstream ? I'm the opposite of s-c-d here, I know the httpd.conf directives from memory, I don't need a GUI to help me, plus I don't run X on the systems that run httpd.

Instead of editing httpd.conf ( the old apache 1.3.x way ), it should add or subtract whole files in /etc/httpd/conf.d

--
Charles Dostale