GSOC Idea: Packages End User UI

mapleoin at lavabit.com mapleoin at lavabit.com
Wed Mar 25 22:03:20 UTC 2009

Hello,

My name is Ionuț Arțăriși and I am a student in
Bucharest, Romania. I have written code for pkgdb over the last year under
the supervision of Toshio Kuratomi and I am now applying for Google Summer
of Code 2009.

I have already discussed this idea at length with Toshio, but I would be
very interested in your ideas and comments as well. I hope to be able to
implement this project as I am aware of its long history as an idea.

Here's a short description (for the more detailed/technical part please
visit [1]):

Other *nix distributions have a centralized place which enables the user
to search and find relevant information about a certain application (ex:
packages.debian.org, freshports.org, aur.archlinux.org etc.), but this is
missing in fedora. The pkgdb is developer-centric as are other related
applications which hold this information (bodhi, koji, bugzilla etc.).

The proposal is to create another view of the pkgdb aimed at the general
fedora user. The project will be integrated with existing tools (yum,
bodhi) with a desire to centralize their information and present it in a
suitable form for the intended audience. It will provide package
information such as: project website, pkg version, occupied space,
categories, dependencies, user commenting/reviewing of packages, user tags
with keywords (which will be exported to other tools in the future and
used for searching).

Thank you!

[1] https://fedorahosted.org/packagedb/wiki/EndUserUI