Speech recognition

Milos Jakubicek xjakub at fi.muni.cz
Thu Mar 26 08:51:08 UTC 2009

Olivier Galibert wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 25, 2009 at 04:44:20PM -0600, Jerry James wrote:
>> Is anybody interested in working with me on getting some voice
>> recognition product packaged up in usable form on Fedora?
>
> For speech recognition, software is only part of the problem and,
> fundamentally, the easiest one (take the algorithms, implement them,
> optimize/debug at will).  The real problem is the data needed to build
> the models to feed the algorithms.  There isn't as far as I know any
> reasonable set of corpus available under an open source license usable
> to build a decent speech recognizer.  Which makes open source speech
> recognition something not doable yet.
>
>   OG.

(I'm sorry for cross-posting to fedora-legal)

Well, the most interesting question here for me is what about licensing
such language models -- could they be considered to be firmware
(redistributable, not modifiable)?

This is important also because of their size (shipping 1G+ corpora, even
compressed, is probably not a right way to go).

Regards,
Milos