F11: xorg decision to disable Ctrl-Alt-Backspace

Roland McGrath roland at redhat.com
Fri Mar 27 21:00:43 UTC 2009

I'm sure many of us are used to hacking xorg.conf with:

	Section "ServerFlags"
		Option      "DontZap" "1"
	EndSection

A change to the default just means that people who care in the other
direction need that same thing with s/1/0/ in their habits or kickstart %post.

Neither of these is very satisfactory to me.

Where this really belongs in with the user "keyboard shortcuts" preferences
settings, so each desktop user gets it the way they want it.  Then really
nobody will care which way the default is, it's just a user preference.

(I understand why this is magically different from other keyboard config
things, but I don't really care what the preferences magic does behind the
curtain if it makes it work.)

All that said, in my experience when C-M-DEL works, C-M-Fn also works to
switch VTs, with the same level of how-bad-the-session-is-borked affecting
whether the X server magic hotkeys work.  So, C-M-F3 and use the console
login to go kill it pretty much always works for the scenarios you are
worried about.

Thanks,
Roland