F11: xorg decision to disable Ctrl-Alt-Backspace

Adam Miller maxamillion at gmail.com
Fri Mar 27 21:53:41 UTC 2009

>I intend to discuss it with upstream.  But this is a huge change to default behavior for X control that almost NO ONE knows about.  The default methods of controlling the X server have been >around for decades and many users and sys admins automatically know what the default behavior is that can be counted on in almost all situations and therefore this constitutes a big change.  >And big changes like this need to be advertised extensively instead of just quietly slipped in.  I was hoping that Fedora might take the lead on stopping this bad change.  And again, yes, I'll >take this to upstream as well.
>
>Regards,
>Gerry

I will agree that it could be advertised more, but at the same time I
think that if people don't read the release notes where information
about the release is held, then it is no fault of the Fedora
developers or document writers.

>Also, won't Ctrl+Alt+<Fn> still work to get you to a vt where you can at your choice kill X manually, or try to debug the problem further?

Yes, yes it will. Solid observation :)

-Adam

--
http://maxamillion.googlepages.com