F11: xorg decision to disable Ctrl-Alt-Backspace

Martin Sourada martin.sourada at gmail.com
Fri Mar 27 22:11:08 UTC 2009

On Fri, 2009-03-27 at 16:31 -0400, Gerry Reno wrote:
> I was reading through the F11A Release Notes when I came across this:
>
>     "The key combination Ctrl-Alt-Backspace to kill the X server has
> been disabled by default as a decision of the upstream Xorg project."
>
> Having to deal with many servers and workstations in a company it is
> crucial that Ctrl-Alt-Backspace be enabled by default.  There are times
> when your KVM has lost mouse control or X is in a tight loop and
> something like Ctrl-Alt-Backspace can save the situation.  This is much
> more common than the uncommon cases that are illustrated as to why this
> has been removed as default.
>
> Ctrl-Alt-Backspace needs to be restored as the "default" and Emacs users
> or others that find themselves in conflict with Java expressions can
> just disable it for their very limited purpose.
>
> Regards,
> Gerry

Hm... I'm personally not very much concerned about it... If X is just
misbehaving you can switch to terminal and kill it. If it freezes, it
blocks the keyboard and ctrl+alt+backspace is unusable as well, at least
for me... The only good solution *I* see is to redesign it so that X
never blocks the keyboard, even if frozen. I don't always have a second
computer to use to ssh to my laptop to kill the frozen X...

Also, as pointed out by other people, it's *default* setting. If you
disagree with it, just change it to your preference. No one stops you
doing that. And if you still disagree with it being default, go complain
upstream, Fedora just follows what the upstream project has chosen to
do.

Martin