F11: xorg decision to disable Ctrl-Alt-Backspace

Gerry Reno greno at verizon.net
Fri Mar 27 23:22:14 UTC 2009

Patrick W. Barnes wrote:
> I have to agree with Jesse on this.  It sounds like you are getting a lot more
> exercise than a SysAdmin should.  ;-)
>
> I am surprised that you have so many systems on which this is apparently a
> problem and yet you do not do provisioning where a simple config change would
> resolve it.  Even without provisioning for installs, any config provisioning
> would easily handle this.
>
> I am also a SysAdmin, and I do (very rarely) use this key combination, but
> certainly not often enough to see this as a big deal.  There are soooo many
> ways around this change and around the need for the key combination in the
> first place.

This is a big deal because now some tiny minority has lobbied for
changes to X that end up affecting a large community.  And the bogus
arguments about user getting confused about keys is just that totally
bogus.  I've never had a user complain about X control key
combinations.  Emacs users complain because Emacs wants to have the same
key control sequences as Xorg.  That's just wrong.  And as a sys admin
if you're not willing to stand up and say that's wrong, then watch for
more ridiculous changes coming your way in the future.

> I wish you luck in your upstream fight

There shouldn't even need to be a fight.  It's a totally ridiculous
change based on bogus arguments to begin with.

Regards,
Gerry