F11: xorg decision to disable Ctrl-Alt-Backspace

Patrick W. Barnes nman64 at n-man.com
Fri Mar 27 23:37:26 UTC 2009

On Friday 27 March 2009 18:22:14 Gerry Reno wrote:
> This is a big deal because now some tiny minority has lobbied for
> changes to X that end up affecting a large community.  And the bogus
> arguments about user getting confused about keys is just that totally
> bogus.  I've never had a user complain about X control key
> combinations.  Emacs users complain because Emacs wants to have the same
> key control sequences as Xorg.  That's just wrong.  And as a sys admin
> if you're not willing to stand up and say that's wrong, then watch for
> more ridiculous changes coming your way in the future.

> There shouldn't even need to be a fight.  It's a totally ridiculous
> change based on bogus arguments to begin with.

I agree with most of your arguments.  If the change were to completely remove
support for my desired behavior, I would also complain.  Since it is just a
change to the default behavior, and I can easily recover my preferred
behavior, I will accept the change and wish those who care more strongly the
best of luck.

"I support and oppose many things, but not strongly enough to pick up a pen."
- Bender, Futurama

--
Patrick "The N-Man" Barnes
nman64 at n-man.com