Speech recognition

Milos Jakubicek xjakub at fi.muni.cz
Sat Mar 28 00:42:03 UTC 2009

Kevin Kofler wrote:
> Rahul Sundaram wrote:
>> No. They are not firmware and cannot be considered as one.
>
> They are not firmware, but are they "content"? Non-code "content", e.g. game
> data, is allowed under the same rules as firmware. On the other hand, this
> does not apply for things like fonts or documentation.

Yes yes, that's what I meant by "considering to be firmware"...thank you
  Kevin for clarification.

What's the (juristic) difference between game data and speech
recognition data (or in common any scientific appplications data)?

This is a common situation in many scientific apps (especially natural
language processing): the code is not important (and thus released under
GPL or whatever else), what matters is data (thus if released, then only
in binary form).

Regards,
Milos