F11: xorg decision to disable Ctrl-Alt-Backspace

Christopher Stone chris.stone at gmail.com
Sat Mar 28 07:13:21 UTC 2009

On Fri, Mar 27, 2009 at 10:31 PM, Arthur Pemberton <pemboa at gmail.com> wrote:

> [1] https://blueprints.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+spec/xorg-ctrl-alt-backspace

> - There is no need for such a feature for an end user desktop system (you cannot kill the X server in MacOSX...)

HAHAAH I was just thinking to myself before I read this, "I bet the
reasoning for this is something like, Windows doesnt have
ctrl-alt-bksp therefore ubuntu shouldnt either"

WHAT A JOKE!!!!

We are disabling ctrl-alt-backspace because Ubuntu is doing it because
Windows doesn't have that feautre.

Okay.

> - The typical end user does not know about this feature (it is undocumented and hidden) and it is relatively easy to trigger it by mistake. It can have disastrous consequences.

relatively easy? relative to what? ctrl-alt-shift-sysrq-q?  LOL

> - If one really needs to kill the X server, he can go to a tty term and do it by hand.

Indeed.  But it is also *a lot* easier for a newb to hit ctrl-alt-backsapce.

I am truely amazed this is in Ubuntu, I would think they would want
the exact opposite, and actually make it easier for newbies to recover
from an X crash.

Can we please now make decisions on technical merit and not because of
what some other OS does. PLEASE.