F11: xorg decision to disable Ctrl-Alt-Backspace

Matthew Saltzman mjs at clemson.edu
Sat Mar 28 16:15:29 UTC 2009

On Sat, 2009-03-28 at 19:26 +0400, Suren Karapetyan wrote:

> Can someone, please, explain me what is a user trying to do when he
> accidentally kills X?
>
> And if the answer is: "Pressing all the buttons he sees", what stops the same
> user from pressing reset/poweroff or even Ctrl-Alt-F4 + Ctrl-Alt-Del?

In emacs, Ctrl-Alt-\ means indent the selected region according to style
rules for the type of file being edited (very useful), and Ctrl-Alt-End
does something related to emacs-Lisp programming (less useful, IMO).
Both \ and End are right next to Bksp on my laptop keyboard, but only
the \ is at risk on my desktop keyboard.  Other nearby keys (=, ], and
PgDn) don't have default emacs bindings with Ctrl-Alt, but I suppose a
sophisticated emacs user could bind them to something useful.

Some GNOME keyboard shortcuts use Ctrl-Alt as well.

I'm a GNOME and  emacs user, but I'm not taking sides here, just
responding to the request for information.

--
                Matthew Saltzman

Clemson University Math Sciences
mjs AT clemson DOT edu