F11: xorg decision to disable Ctrl-Alt-Backspace

Joonas Sarajärvi muepsj at gmail.com
Sat Mar 28 16:40:17 UTC 2009

2009/3/28 Callum Lerwick <seg at haxxed.com>:
> On Sat, 2009-03-28 at 08:15 -0700, Dan Nicholson wrote:
>> Please stop with the conspiracy theory. This has nothing to do with
>> emacs. It has everything to do with people accidentally killing their
>> X session. I have no idea where you've gotten the idea that this was
>> done for emacs users. Read Daniel's reply to you again.
>
> Is "accidentally hitting it" really the only reason? If so, the simplest
> thing to do would be to CHANGE THE KEYBINDING not remove functionality.
> Change it to oh, I don't know, ctl-alt-del? quadruple-bucky-cokebottle?
> You've got ~101 keys to work with, I'm sure we can find something
> acceptable.
>
> ... Or is there another reason?

I'd prefer a system where X.org wouldn't have any keyboard shortcuts
at all. Things would just work and I wouldn't ever need to Zap X or go
to a vt to fix things.

Of course, the world isn't perfect, and there probably is need for a
global shortcut to kill or restart X, among other things. However, it
would be nice if X eventually got rid of everything ctrl-alt-something
(Zap, vt switches, resolution changes, etc.) , so that the
combinations could be used for more useful purposes, and replaced them
with less intrusive ones, if any, as default.

--
Joonas Sarajärvi
muepsj at gmail.com