F11: xorg decision to disable Ctrl-Alt-Backspace

Callum Lerwick seg at haxxed.com
Sun Mar 29 15:55:58 UTC 2009

On Sat, 2009-03-28 at 19:55 +0200, Joonas Sarajärvi wrote:
> I think leaving the zap function disabled is very much in line with
> the general character of Fedora. In past, we have many times replaced
> old, de-facto ways of doing things with new, innovative solutions and
> decision.

"You are not allowed to kill your X server" is new and innovative? What,
are we Apple now?

> In Fedora 10, the default vt for X was changed from vt 1 to
> vt 7, despite many arguments similar to yours, and despite that it
> could potentially confuse some experienced users.

... Yes, a minor rearrangement of vcons. That's not the same thing as
removing functionality entirely.

> Especially now that
> this isn't even a Fedora decision but an upstream one, it would in my
> opinion seem a bit odd if Fedora did override that decision. The X
> developers seem to think that the system should work so well that
> there would be no need for a magic key combo for killing the server.

This is what is known as "delusional" and is not how you create reliable
software. You get reliable software by EXPECTING failure and put
mechanisms in place to mitigate it.