F11: xorg decision to disable Ctrl-Alt-Backspace

Anders Rayner-Karlsson anders at trudheim.co.uk
Tue Mar 31 10:56:38 UTC 2009

* Giancarlo Niccolai <gc at falconpl.org> [20090331 12:20]:
> it may be educated enough to try it. But it is not like that an X
> session hang so bad that you have to ctrl-alt-bs it will allow you to
> CAF1-6 at all, or will let you to do anything meaningful with it (i.e.
> bash may not be able to get the resources to start). When you HAVE to
> CABs, it's because you CAN'T CAF1-6.
>
> (There was my two cents, so don't expect me to join in this convo; I
> just wanted to correct your assumption that you may CAF1-6 away a
> situation in which you have to CABs, which is wrong, as another poster
> pointed out).

IIRC, and I believe that was pointed out in this thread as well, is
that these keypresses are handled in the same way by the same part of
the X server. If C-A-Bs works, so will C-A-F2 to drop you at a vc.

Through past experience, I have never found an instance (since moving
from XFree86 to Xorg) where the Xserver was wedged in a way that
switching to a vc did not work, but C-A-Bs did. I have seen plenty of
X lockups (Xorg intel driver issues in F10) in the last few months and
not a single one of those were resolvable by C-A-Bs.

Cheers,

--
/Anders