question about git workflow

Christoph Höger choeger at cs.tu-berlin.de
Tue Mar 31 16:42:02 UTC 2009

Hi there dvcs users,

I am getting used to using git while working with upstream projects. So
when I try to make a patch available upstream, I encounter the following
problem: I want to make small commits during my work but of course send
the result as a single patch via git format-patch. So what's best:

1. clone upstream, create another local branch, work there, and then
merge that branchs changes via diff?

2. use <UNKNOWN_GIT_COMMAND> to merge those commits into a single one?

3. do not use intermdiate local commits (bad idea)

And the final question: When I got to the point of sending one single
patch and upstream merges it, how can I resync with upstream without
having to clone again?

thanks

christoph