182 pending F11 stable updates. WTF?

David Cantrell dcantrell at redhat.com
Fri May 8 01:39:31 UTC 2009

On 05/07/2009 10:47 AM, Toshio Kuratomi wrote:
> Michael DeHaan wrote:
>> Jesse Keating wrote:
>>> How is it we have 182 stable updates pending for F11 already?  How have
>>> these seen any testing by a wider audience?  Are we really just not
>>> bothering with updates-testing anymore?  Do we not care about distro
>>> stability?
>>>
>>> I know that many of these are newpackages, but many aren't though.
>>> </frustrated>
>>>

>> My experience is that most commercial users do not bother with logging
>> into Bhodi or even know it exists.
>>
>> Another problem is that EPEL doesn't /yet/ use bhodi, so it has a
>> different workflow -- meaning EPEL-testing doesn't really test anything,
>> it means "rolls every 30-40 days", and that's about it.
>> So testing has to happen manually, Fedora is the minority use case.
>>
>> Having a way to vote/comment without FAS would probably be enormously
>> helpful in getting more users to use the system, once EPEL uses the same
>> system.
>>
> You haven't needed a FAS account to leave a comment in bodhi for a long
> time... possibly from the get-go.  Look at a potential update in bodhi
> without logging in.  There's an add comment link that asks you for an
> email address, comment, and a captcha to fill in.  (Although I have
> found in testing just now that anonymous commenting is currently
> broken... have to find out from lmacken what's going on there.)

That still won't make users go and leave comments in the updates system.
  Once they get an update that works, my experience is they are no
longer interested in the "process" that follows or continues.

What would be nice is an integration to the bodhi comments/karma system
from bugzilla.  The users already use bugzilla and read that throughout
the process of solving a problem.  Having them go to an entirely
different site to leave a comment that says, "works for me" is sort of
annoying from a user's point of view.  If we could make that easier for
them, maybe we'd see more automatic updates pushing.

Or perhaps a yum plugin or packagekit thing that makes it easier for
users to report that a particular update worked for them.

--
David Cantrell <dcantrell at redhat.com>
Red Hat / Honolulu, HI