182 pending F11 stable updates. WTF?

Michal Hlavinka mhlavink at redhat.com
Fri May 8 09:19:23 UTC 2009

On Friday 08 May 2009 10:59:19 Michal Hlavinka wrote:
> On Thursday 07 May 2009 21:15:30 Tom Lane wrote:
> > Jesse Keating <jkeating at redhat.com> writes:
> > > How is it we have 182 stable updates pending for F11 already?
> >
> > What do you expect, when the release freeze policy essentially forbids
> > any noncritical updates for a month?  People don't stop working just
> > because releng wants to simplify their own lives.
> >
> > The only reason there aren't 184 is I haven't bothered to try to
> > push my pending updates for mysql and postgresql ... but they'll
> > be in the zero-day update queue just like a lot of other things.
> >
> > 			regards, tom lane
>
> I really agree with this. I think we need F11/updates and
> F11/updates-testing soon after devel freeze. You get bugs reported for
> snapshots, previews,... but fixing these bugs and especially delivering
> them to users is too much difficult imho.
>
> In my dreamworld we have rawhide -> F11, F11/updates, F11/updates-testing
> in a few days after devel freeze. I think at least F11/updates-testing
> (without F11/updates available before day or two ago F11 GA) would be
> really appreciated by developers.
>
> Regards,
> Michal Hlavinka

and one real life experience:
I'd like to upgrade to F11 snapshost / preview /... but when I'll found some
bug, it'll be fixed in F10 sooner than in F11. Not only this, but I'll have to
wait *one month* before I get these fixes! (Yes, I can download them from koji,
but I'd like to have fixed also bugs reported by other users/testers.)

/me thinks there is something wrong here...