Breaking deps deliberately

Kevin Kofler kevin.kofler at chello.at
Wed May 13 15:04:40 UTC 2009

Colin Walters wrote:
> Would it be easier to do more extensive checks only for say security
> updates?  Maybe we could consider splitting fedora-updates into two
> repos; fedora-updates-security and fedora-updates-all?

That doesn't really work, because security updates in Fedora are usually
not "security only" updates, but also have other changes, depend on
non-security updates, both obsolete and get obsoleted by non-security
updates etc. Having 2 separate updates repos would mean maintaining 2
separate branches of packages like Adam Williamson is describing, one with
security updates only and one with the rest. That doubles the maintainer
workload and doesn't help the case of security updates for the packages
from "all" (because the packages in "security" would have only the security
fix and not the changes previously done in "all").

        Kevin Kofler