Re: Breaking deps deliberately

On Wed, 2009-05-13 at 10:55 -0500, Michael Cronenworth wrote:
> I'm not sure why you think we need entirely separate repos for this kind
> of action. PackageKit is aware of update levels. Bug fix, security fix,
> or regular feature update. You could add functionality to PackageKit
> that allows you default the type of updates you want instead of all
> updates. Right now you can just manually uncheck the updates you do not
> want, so if they don't have a red icon next to them. In fact, I think
> the notification window you get that says "Security Updates only" would
> get you on your way.

The problem here is that packages get multiple updates.  Lets say update
1 is non security.  Update 2 is security.  Updates 3 and 4 are non
security.  User Bob does a fresh install, and in order to get the
security update, he has to update to update 4, which has 3 non security
updates rolled into it.  He might as well just update everything.

--
Jesse Keating
Fedora -- FreedomĀ² is a feature!