GRUB menu for options (was: Re: Who Fedora isn't for (Was: Re: OpenOffice 3.1))

Chris Adams cmadams at hiwaay.net
Wed May 13 16:24:40 UTC 2009

Once upon a time, Adam Williamson <awilliam at redhat.com> said:
> Is that a really critical issue? It depends! If we're a distro for Aunt
> Flo, yes, it is. We can't go telling Aunt Flo to stick 'nomodeset' on
> the kernel command line. Or, at least, we should try really hard not to.

Completely off-topic, but this is something that has been kicking around
in my head for a long time: would it be possible to extend GRUB to have
a secondary menu of kernel options like "nomodeset", "relabel", etc.?
Basically have the common debugging and error-recovery type options in a
pre-set menu (maybe shared among all "Linux kernel type" entries).

This would make it a little easier (and less typo-prone) for the average
person to access these options.

This would be something kind of like the Windows boot process, where if
you hold a key (or whatever it is), you can get the "Safe mode", "Normal
boot", etc. menu.

--
Chris Adams <cmadams at hiwaay.net>