Fedora (Linux) is Destroying it self

Nicolas Mailhot nicolas.mailhot at laposte.net
Fri May 15 08:30:43 UTC 2009

Le Ven 15 mai 2009 00:27, Colin Walters a écrit :

> On Thu, May 14, 2009 at 6:22 PM, Nathan Grennan
> <fedora-devel-list at cygnusx-1.org> wrote:
>>

>>  It seems to me it isn't always even a server vs desktop, but a
>> desktop vs
>> laptop divide.
>
> The desktop team has always focused on laptops because laptops are the
> harder case, and if you get the laptop right, then you generally get
> the desktop right along the way.

I think the "laptops are the harder case" is true for power management
but false for pretty much everything else. Very few laptops drive
complex devices because laptops are not that extensible and laptops
manufacturers prefer limited cheap general purpose hardware over more
complete expensive less general solutions. Also because laptops are
shut down/disconnected regularly they are not used for long-running,
background nor network-exposed computing).

--
Nicolas Mailhot