Sound doesn't work, again!

David dgboles at comcast.net
Sun May 17 15:09:23 UTC 2009

On 5/17/2009 10:43 AM, Naheem Zaffar wrote:

> 2009/5/17 David <dgboles at comcast.net <mailto:dgboles at comcast.net>>
>
>     I agree with the testing 100%. However he said that this was a
>     necessary, production, machine.
>

>     http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Releases/Rawhide
>
>     "  Who should use Rawhide?
>
>     No-one should use Rawhide as their main day-to-day workstation. As
>     Rawhide is a development branch, many changes are not heavily tested (or
>     tested at all) before being released to Rawhide, and packages in Rawhide
>     can and do break without warning. It is even possible that bugs in
>     Rawhide could cause data loss. However, testing Rawhide is a very
>     valuable activity which helps to direct Fedora development and ensure
>     the quality of stable releases is high. It's also a fun way to try out
>     the latest software almost as soon as it comes out. If you have a spare
>     system, or are willing to install Rawhide to spare space on an existing
>     system and dual boot, or use a virtual machine, testing Rawhide is a
>     great way to contribute to Fedora development."
>

>     But many still do.
>

> I would think that "frozen" rawhid just before a release is a different
> matter - if no serious bugs are reported in the software, that is the
> software that will make it into a final release.
>
> Rawhide a few months ago/a few months from now and today are IMO two
> different beasts.

Final Freeze Policy

http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/ReleaseEngineering/FinalFreezePolicy

This "frozen" rawhide" (future F-11) that you speak of is still getting
daily updates. Or it was. The latest / last(?) ones where on Fri May 15.
You are still updating aren't you?

I use Rawhide on a day to day basis. However I also have the latest
release installed, kept up to date, should Rawhide have a problem. Which
it does from time to time but not too often.

So no I still do not think it is wise to run Rawhide or a beta of it
on a critical machine.

User's choice. If it breaks the user gets to keep the pieces.

--

  David