Package Maintainers Flags policy

David Woodhouse dwmw2 at infradead.org
Tue May 19 12:52:09 UTC 2009

On Tue, 2009-05-19 at 14:26 +0200, Andrea Musuruane wrote:
> > I don't much like the reasons that we have to do it -- but I do agree
> > that it's best just to stay out of the political debate by not shipping
> > _any_ flags. That's why I voted for the policy.
>
> I wonder what will happen in the long run if we continue to remove
> everything that anyone on the planet can consider "inappropriate".]

I agree -- I'm dismayed by the tide of political correctness which
blights our society. But even _I_ am not quixotic enough to want to
stand up to it _all_ the time. Especially when I'm making decision as a
representative of the Fedora project, rather than purely for myself.

I think it's mildly hypocritical of anyone to demand that we restore
flags without also restoring the missing bits of fortune files and the
'random image' screensavers. The principle is the same -- some stupid
people choose to be offended, and we're pandering to them because we
want an easy life.

--
dwmw2