Package Maintainers Flags policy

Colin Walters walters at verbum.org
Tue May 19 15:27:13 UTC 2009

On Tue, May 19, 2009 at 11:09 AM, Seth Vidal <skvidal at fedoraproject.org> wrote:

> It's also completely possible that freeciv may not be a package we can ship.

Not have at all in RPM form on the mirrors and in the repo list you
mean?  That's a pretty harsh solution.  There's degrees here.  I could
imagine for example that for some consumers of Fedora, being able to
automatically strip out the controversial packages when
redistributing, and have yum be able to skip listing
-flags/controversial packages would be enough for them.  That seems to
be some of the logic behind the current flags policy, though please
correct me if I'm wrong.

> If someone packaged a "free taiwan" game where you protested the PRC and
> wheeled and dealed to get various world gov'ts to officially recognize
> taiwan (an amusing game premise, actually) I think we'd probably have to not
> ship it. Just as if someone packaged a game adaptation of "springtime for
> hitler and germany." (from the producers musical/movie for anyone who
> doesn't get the reference) we'd probably not ship it.

Well, luckily for us the vast majority of these kinds of things are
Flash games on the web now, so they're not our problem.