PolicyKit changes in F12

Matthias Clasen mclasen at redhat.com
Mon May 25 02:55:14 UTC 2009

On Sun, 2009-05-24 at 07:53 +0200, Kevin Kofler wrote:
> Matthias Clasen wrote:
> > It took me a couple of evenings to write patches for the majority of
> > polkit users in gnome
>
> Several of your "porting patches" just drop PolicyKit support entirely (so
> it looks to me like either it's actually more work to port to the new
> PolicyKit than you claim or the new PolicyKit is just not powerful enough
> to support everything the old one did, both of which would be bad things).

Look closer then.

The big advantage of the new api is that the PolicyKit interaction is
kept entirely on the mechanism side, with no need for clients do a
complicated first-call-mechanism-then-polkit-then-mechanism-again dance.
The consequence is that porting to the new api often just means dropping
polkit-specific code from the clients.