dependency errors while upgrading vom F10 to Rawhide (F11)

Seth Vidal skvidal at fedoraproject.org
Tue May 26 20:20:00 UTC 2009

On Tue, 26 May 2009, Adam Williamson wrote:

> On Tue, 2009-05-26 at 21:17 +0200, Uwe Kiewel wrote:
>
>>> We don't consider issues which would cause upgrading from release to
>>> release via yum to be blockers, but issues which would cause upgrading
>>> via preupgrade to fail usually would be.
>>
>> So, I have to google about preupgrade. It's the first time I hear about.
>> I did the upgrade via yum since F5 successfuly...
>
> Sure. As I said, practically speaking, it's likely to work in many
> cases. It's just that if you talk to the people most involved in
> implementing it (Seth) and testing it (Will) they will tell you that

(Will has done most of the implementing in the last MANY releases of
preupgrade)

> doing live upgrades via yum can't really ever be 100% safe for various
> reasons, but preupgrade can get very close and is useful in all the same
> cases. So their position is, we support preupgrade, we don't support
> yum. If yum works, great, if it doesn't, you can bug people to fix
> whatever it stopping it working, but it's not 'required' by any policy
> or guideline.

The biggest problem you are likely to run into with a yum-based upgrade is
situations where updating something takes out the foundation on which yum
is running.

The fontconfig bug comes to mind.

If you want to run yum quasi-safely run it from a terminal, in screen.

-sv