Make Fedora 11 use vx800 chipset correctly

Adam Jackson ajax at redhat.com
Thu May 28 14:53:37 UTC 2009

On Thu, 2009-05-28 at 10:48 -0400, Adam Jackson wrote:
> On Thu, 2009-05-28 at 11:18 +0000, Kristaps Viesalgs wrote:
> > Hi!
> >
> > Here is my problem: I am trying to Fedora LIVE USB boot properly X on
> > vx800 chipset/Chrome9 integrated GPU on VED8900 netbook (VIA OpenBook
> > reference design). Default driver \"openchrome\" because of
> > unsupported vx800 can\'t do that. Only some snv version of this driver
> > can boot X correctly.
>
> Assuming "snv" means svn, I defer to the opinion of the openchrome
> maintainer on this point.  We regularly ship svn snapshots of the
> openchrome driver, but we seem to be on one from March 21.  Don't know
> why it hasn't been updated yet.

Actually, having looked closer at the package, I see:

# 1106:1122 - VX800 (PCI_CHIP_VT3353)
alias pcivideo:v00001106d00001122sv*sd*bc*sc*i* openchrome

Which would seem to indicate that it _does_ support this chip.  Perhaps
you could explain what goes wrong when trying to run X on it?
The /var/log/Xorg.0.log file from trying to run it would be informative.

- ajax