Make Fedora 11 use vx800 chipset correctly

Xavier Bachelot xavier at bachelot.org
Thu May 28 23:12:48 UTC 2009

Adam Williamson wrote:
> On Thu, 2009-05-28 at 10:48 -0400, Adam Jackson wrote:
>
>>> Is Fedora planning to make for
>>> VIA graphic chipset autoconfiguration utility? It would be very very
>>> useful.
>> Why would we do that when we could just package a version of the driver
>> that just works?
>
> Or to put it a different way, we already have a VIA graphic chipset
> autoconfiguration utility - it's the driver detection code in the X
> server. As an added bonus, it works for lots of other chipsets too! :)
>
> As Adam implied, the openchrome maintainer for Fedora, Xavier Bachelot,
> is actually also the main upstream developer of openchrome too, so he
> would presumably be aware of this issue - perhaps you could email him
> (his email address is in the package info) and see what his take is?

It's true I'm involved with the openchrome project, but I'm not really a
developer, and certainly not the main one, I'm unfortunately not skilled
enough. I'll take this opportunity to outline that the openchrome
project is severely understaffed, and if anyone is looking into getting
involved with an X driver development, there is plenty to do to help us,
either on the 2D driver, but also on the 3D driver (Chrome9 chips are
not supported at all, it would be nice to work on a Gallium3D driver
someday) and on the kernel (Chrome9 DRM needs to be reviewed and
integrated). Especially, if you have interested in the OLPC project, the
X0-1.5 will be based on a VIA chip soon to be supported by openchrome,
so anyone willing to lend a hand is welcome.

Regards,
Xavier