Plans for tomorrow's (20090529) FESCo meeting

Kevin Kofler kevin.kofler at chello.at
Fri May 29 15:45:18 UTC 2009

drago01 wrote:
> So we might get in a situation: pushing a kernel update will cause
> broken deps for users of kmod-foo -> preventing them from installing
> updates -> security risk. (outdated packages)

How does putting those kmods in a third-party repo fix this? And they WILL
and DO end up there. Even if you get RPM Fusion to ban kmods (which I doubt
will ever happen), they'll just migrate to another third-party repo. You
can't eliminate kmods entirely, no matter how hard you try. Having them
within Fedora would actually allow syncing the updates to kernel updates by
using a Bodhi grouped update, which would make this much less of an issue.

        Kevin Kofler