gnaughty is a hot babe

Jussi Lehtola jussilehtola at fedoraproject.org
Fri May 29 19:22:30 UTC 2009

On Fri, 2009-05-29 at 13:55 -0400, Simo Sorce wrote:
> I think this is the main point Muayyad should understand.
>
> Muayyad, if you feel this sort of filtering is necessary then
> you simply can't trust others to do it.
> Even if they had any interest in doing it because they may simply not
> understand your moral boundaries, let alone share them.
>
> Your best bet is to ask for help in your own community and come up with
> a method to allow your community members to tag packages, in a wiki
> associated to your spin, and then use those tags to build your package
> list.
>
> This would make it much easier for you and for the Fedora project.

+1

There are so many different types of packages that could be considered
controversial from cultural, idealistic or religious reasons that there
is simply no way to please everyone.

For instance, creationists might consider anything that has to do with
evolution (such as evolution simulations or gene programs) as
controversial, whereas for scientists they might be a necessity for
daily work.

Or, people such as RMS might consider every package which enhances
interoperability with proprietary systems (such as Evolution's Exchange
plugin) as suspicious.

As to the implementation, as has been already suggested you can make
your own internet page [even in the fedorapeople wiki?] (either by
yourself or with a group of other concerned people) about packages you
find controversial.

Or, you can make your own repository that contains a metapackage which
Conflicts with the packages you find detestable (or obsoletes them so
that they can't be installed and they are even automatically removed
from the systems that have some of them installed).

Or even better: you can create your own spin / distribution with the
packages you find detestable removed. Simply start from a minimal
install and add only the packages you need.
--
Jussi Lehtola
Fedora Project Contributor
jussilehtola at fedoraproject.org