RPM Soft dependencies (Was: Re: Agenda for the 2009-05-26 Packaging Committee meeting)

Adam Williamson awilliam at redhat.com
Sun May 31 16:06:24 UTC 2009

On Sat, 2009-05-30 at 22:55 -0700, Adam Williamson wrote:

> > What is the behaviour when a package with soft deps on another package
> > is upgraded and the soft dependency is currently not installed?
>
> What is it, in MDV and SUSE? Can't remember, off the top of my head.
> What should it be? Interesting question, indeed. Either option is wrong
> for someone.

BTW, there is a way to handle this, but like proper orphan detection it
would require yum to hold some sort of history. yum could do the right
thing if it knew whether you had manually removed the soft dependency in
question after installing the initial package, or not. I can't think of
a 'clean' way to handle this without some kind of history tracking,
though.
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey