How to add upstream developer as a (co)maintainer of the existing application?

Jon Stanley jonstanley at gmail.com
Sun Nov 1 05:55:13 UTC 2009

On Sat, Oct 31, 2009 at 1:31 PM, Peter Lemenkov <lemenkov at gmail.com> wrote:

> I remember, that if Redhat hires someone from upstream, then no
> additional procedures with review requests and sponsorship needed (at
> least visible to others, outside Redhat) - (s)he just started to be a
> (co)maintainer.

Anyone that wishes to maintain a package in Fedora, regardless of
their employer, has to be sponsored. It's up to the individual sponsor
of an individual what procedures (or lack thereof) must be followed in
order to sponsor a person, but one would hope that there's at least
*some* sort of filter there. Just because someone is a great developer
doesn't make them a good packager (and vice versa).

All that said, provided this person demonstrated some basic knowledge
of Fedora packaging guidelines, I'd be willing to sponsor them. In
that case, I'd also want watch* on the package(s) in question just to
keep an eye on them :)