Fedora 12 staged for mirrors, rawhide moving on soon

Josh Boyer jwboyer at gmail.com
Fri Nov 13 01:09:34 UTC 2009

On Thu, Nov 12, 2009 at 04:09:55PM -0800, H. Peter Anvin wrote:
>On 11/12/2009 02:52 PM, Jesse Keating wrote:
>> I have just staged Fedora 12 for our mirrors.  We're doing something a
>> little different this time around.  The releases/12/Everything/ tree
>> will be open to the public as it gets staged.
>
>For heaven's sake, no!
>
>Don't you realize this means a ton of *users* will start to bog down the
>mirrors before the whole data set has propagated through the network?

To do what?  The Everything trees don't contain bootable media.  They are just
package repositories.

The users on rawhide-f12 installs will hit that if they want to install
packages, but that is no more load than them just hitting rawhide for packages.

It's certainly possible that users will rsync the Everything tree, but they
won't be able to do much with it.  Is that the usecase you're worried about?

josh