A silly question about our "FC" tag

Thorsten Leemhuis fedora at leemhuis.info
Tue Nov 17 08:08:05 UTC 2009

Henrique Junior wrote on 16.11.2009 23:57:
> I have a question that may sound a little stupid, but that came as I
> write a short article about some Fedora's curiosities.
>
> Why are our packages still using the tag "f*c*X", "f*c*Y", "f*c*W" since
> Fedora does not use “*Core*” in his name anymore?
>
> I know it's an almost irrelevant question, but the article is just about
> small curiosities and I could not think in a better place to ask.

I don't care much about the "c", but we IMHO really should get rid of a
disttag in rawhide that is related to the release cycle when a package
got build. Only then we can avoid confusion like "why are there packages
with .fc11 on my F12 machine/in the F12 repos" which IMHO come up way to
often and seem to highly confuse people.

I still vote for using ".1" as %dist in rawhide all the time(¹), as that
is higher then (for example) ".fc12"(²). But that suggestion was shot
down last time I brought it up one or two years ago. Has anybody any
better idea?

CU
knurd

(¹) read "all the time" as in "this doesn't ever need to be increased"

(²) $ rpmdev-vercmp 1-2.1 1-2.fc12
0:1-2.1 is newer