audio group after upgrade

Tomasz Torcz tomek at pipebreaker.pl
Thu Nov 19 19:04:29 UTC 2009

On Thu, Nov 19, 2009 at 07:46:27PM +0100, Christoph Höger wrote:
> Hi,
>
> after my upgrade to f12 I could play any sound files. This was a odd
> problem: Not just my speakers stay silent, but the player won't even
> start.
>
> xmms complained:
>
> ** WARNING **: alsa_get_mixer(): Attaching to mixer hw:0 failed:
> Permission denied
>
> And, indeed, I was not in the audio group.
> (simple fix - so no problem for me)
>
> I assume that every user is in this group by default upon installation,
> so why does anaconda not handle this?
> (If no one noticed this yet, just think of this mail as a feature
> request)

  Permissions to sound devices should be handled to local users using
ACL, if I'm not mistaken. It was handled by HAL ACL helper with cooperation
with ConsoleKit. Today it is probably udev work. You should need any special
group arrangement. Something in your multimedia/permission stack isn't
working OK.

--
Tomasz Torcz               "Never underestimate the bandwidth of a station
xmpp: zdzichubg at chrome.pl    wagon filled with backup tapes." -- Jim Gray