Promoting i386 version over x86_64?

Ralf Corsepius rc040203 at freenet.de
Fri Nov 20 06:20:05 UTC 2009

On 11/20/2009 06:54 AM, Rahul Sundaram wrote:
> On 11/20/2009 11:20 AM, Ralf Corsepius wrote:
>>> "Users of the Fedora Moblin Spin would have a much better user
>>> experience on their NetBook, NetTop and other small devices"
>> That's what the marketing department wants it to be.
>
> Meh. You said the target of the spin is not netbooks but it clearly is.

You violently don't want to understand.

The moblin stuff is a different use-case, primarily addressing the very
low end of HW, which is competing with SmartPhones, the XOs and the like.

I am talking about is people using netbook/nettops as "secondary
desktops" for "normal usage".

>> Reality speaks a different language:
>> * People are using their everyday desktop even on low end machines and
>> do not want to fiddle around with "custom netbooks desktops".
>> * People consider their low end machine's performance sufficient for
>> such use-cases.
>
> I am not sure why I should accept your version of reality over any
> other. Any references to back up your claims?

It's what I am using netbooks for, everybody around me uses netbooks
for, what newpapers tell and what I can buy in stores.
The mass of "Atom based" machines you can buy around here either have
"Win XP" preinstalled or meanwhile occasionally come with Win7.

Linux based netbooks/nettops can hardly be found in stores anywhere.

>> The essentially the same rationale/reason why netbooks/nettops with
>> WinXP have been a huge success and why netbooks with "custom desktops"
>> were a failure.
>
> Actually, netbooks represent one of the highest market shares for Linux
> on the client side and nany of them are running custom desktops
>
> http://www.desktoplinux.com/news/NS5114054156.html

Well you'll likely find a static proving anything.

All I can say, my netbook easily outperforms many "older desktops" and
is quite suiteable for everyday office- and home use-cases, using an
ordinary Fedora setup. I don't have any use for Moblin and consider
Moblin to be a waste of resources.

Ralf