abrt + X Error => zillions of duplicate bug reports?

Matěj Cepl mcepl at redhat.com
Tue Nov 24 21:49:53 UTC 2009

Dne 24.11.2009 22:37, Adam Williamson napsal(a):
>>> We came up with several possible courses of action. First, we
>>> acknowledge that abrt team is working on improving duplicate detection,
>>> but Matej noted that this is intrinsically hard work and abrt will
>>> likely never be able to eliminate or even come close to eliminating
>>> duplicate reporting.
>>
>> What's the technical limitation to coming close here?  It seems likely
>> that there will be some edge cases, but I would think that the majority
>> of cases aren't all that exceptional, and are fundamentally straightforward
>> to work out.

Don't ask me, I am just a humble bug triager (putting abrt developer on
CC of this message). What I can say is that even though I can see abrt
devs work hard to eliminate duplicates, they don't succeed much.
Apparently eliminating duplicates of bugs from beasts like Firefox or
OpenOffice is excessively hard.

Matěj

A GOOD name is rather to be chosen than great riches.
    -- Proverbs 22:1