Fedora 12 Graphics Issues: Cancel F13 and concentrate on fixing F12 ?

Peter Robinson pbrobinson at gmail.com
Fri Nov 27 01:43:58 UTC 2009

On 11/26/09, Terry Barnaby <terry1 at beam.ltd.uk> wrote:
> On 11/26/2009 04:34 PM, Josh Boyer wrote:
>> On Thu, Nov 26, 2009 at 04:08:27PM +0000, Terry Barnaby wrote:
>>> As you obviously know tracking down and reporting bugs like these do take
>>> a lot of time and effort, quite often more than actually fixing them. At
>>> the moment
>>> with the frequency of Fedora releases and the lack of a push to testing
>>> and stability on this front I am not enthused, at the moment, with doing
>>> this and I suspect many others feel the same.
>>
>> I'm confused.  You want Fedora to skip a release to focus on testing
>> and fixing, and you have no plans to help and aren't enthusiastic
>> about actually participating in the testing and fixing?
>>
>> josh
>>
> I really want to help and get a stable release and present bug reports and
> even fix them if I can. But, the current short term release schedule, and no
> focus on testing and fixing graphics issues, does not inspire me with
> confidence
> that a stable usable release will emerge. This makes it difficult
> for me to justify the effort. Convince me :)

Convince you? Not sure we need to do that. I've had some issues with
graphics on my Dell laptop with nvidia graphics and I reported a
couple of bugs and ones been fixed, one was not a bug and the other
one I've had lots of help to get fixed, and while not there yet its
well and truly on its way. My Intel based systems are spectacularly
stable.

The thing is with open source communities is that its a two way
street. You need to contribute time to get help fixing stuff... if you
can't justify the effort to assist in debugging stuff so it can be
fixed and help the community as a whole why should the maintainer
spend time dealing with your moaning when he's got dozens of other
bugs with proper debugs attached that can help with the fixing of the
issues and have people appreciate the effort. Its too easy to moan and
harder to contribute.

Peter