Fedora 12 Graphics Issues: Cancel F13 and concentrate on fixing F12 ?

Jaroslav Reznik jreznik at redhat.com
Fri Nov 27 09:02:45 UTC 2009

On Thursday 26 November 2009 23:14:09 Dave Airlie wrote:
> On Fri, 2009-11-27 at 07:23 +1000, Dave Airlie wrote:

> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > I have tried out F12 on 4 different systems, 2 with different ATI
> > > graphics and two with different Intel based boards. Only the last one
> > > appears to be able to run Blender. You mention "Airlie has continued
> > > development in the f12 branch". If that means there are people working
> > > on the bugs and producing new driver updates for F12 (DRM,MESA,X11),
> > > especially for ATI then I certainly will give it some time.
> >
> > So is blender working the only thing you consider as working?
> >
> > The current focus is on making graphics work for as many ppl as possible
> > first, then 3D is always further down the list, this is just common
> > sense.
> >
> > Current priorities are:
> > 0) you aren't running a binary driver - if so no priority for you.
> >
> > a) Can you see stuff on the screen at install/boot?
> > b) can you run GNOME desktop in reasonably useful manner? i.e. firefox
> > runs okay, no glitches, major slowdowns etc.
> > c) can you suspend/resume?
> > d) can you run compiz/gnome-shell?
> > e) can you run non-Gnome desktops at reasonable speed? (yes we have to
> > prioritise gnome over KDE, it sucks but thats life)
> > f) does misc 3D application run?
>
> I should follow up just as far as the Red Hat X team goes a-d are what
> we are paid to do, e/f and nice to haves, so really if some community
> effort was to be brought up around this, e/f are where it would make
> sense to focus it.

Hi,
how could we (we = KDE SIG people) help with e) - serious question - not KDE
over Gnome flame or blaming ;-) - to make it better?
>From Red Hat's POV, KDE should be at least partially supported by X team as
it's official and supported component of RHEL - but this goes together with
Fedora.

Thanks for your work on freeing me from fglrx!

Jaroslav

--
Jaroslav Řezník <jreznik at redhat.com>

Office: +420 532 294 275