Buyer Beware: A Major Change in NFS is about to happen

Josh Boyer jwboyer at gmail.com
Thu Oct 1 02:19:39 UTC 2009

http://meetbot.fedoraproject.org/fedora-meeting/2009-06-12/fedora-meeting.2009-06-12-17.01.html

https://fedorahosted.org/fesco/ticket/162

https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-devel-list/2009-June/msg00714.html

https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Milestone_Adjustment_Proposal

>been really surprised by this having been implemented ("Huh, there's a F12
>Alpha now?"), given that there was no consensus at all on the mailing list.)
>
>I don't doubt there was some in-person discussion at the FAD, but that will
>never be as inclusive as a mailing list discussion (which never happened
>because a huge list of "brainstorming results" (which turned out to actually
>mean "almost decided items", which also wasn't clear from the wording or you
>might have gotten more objections) was dumped onto the mailing list in one
>e-mail). I think a small circle of people flying to some location to make
>lots of decisions in person in one day is really bad for transparency in an
>international project like ours. Ideas really need to be sent one at a time
>to the public mailing lists.

This is utter fucking bullshit.  Nobody went off and decided.  We made a very
large point of NOT just changing stuff and we posted every single proposal
that came out of that FAD.  Some of them were approved, some of them are still
pending.  NONE of them were just changed without going through FESCo.

josh