HOWTO debug dracut

Adam Williamson awilliam at redhat.com
Fri Oct 2 04:02:11 UTC 2009

On Fri, 2009-10-02 at 01:35 +0000, "Jóhann B. Guðmundsson" wrote:

> As I said "other voices" I never said they resided on this list ( I dont
> keep tap who's on this list or any other list for that matter ) however
> you should recall atleast one such debate when we rewrote/redesigned the
> QA frontpage on the wiki..  I feel we definitively needs some wiki rules

It would help if you'd split things into paragraphs, my eyes keep
glazing over after four lines...

> and regulations. When I started to write wiki pages I was pointed out
> that I should write those pages on my name space followed by pointing
> other members of the community to that page and if the community was
> happy with the content/layout it would be move to the front  if not I
> should A) rewrite the page according to suggestion and resubmit or B)
> those that did not agree with the content layout of that page should
> draft what ever they think it should look like and submit that.

That's the procedure we follow for particularly significant and
important pages - like the most popular few pages for a group (the
Bugzappers front page, joining page etc). It doesn't scale to _every
page in the Wiki_, there just aren't the resources to review everything.
For a less significant page like this, it doesn't need review.

> if I
> would change an already published wiki page I should comment in the page
> it self why I made those changes .

That's not correct, you should explain in the comment box when you make
the change. If you need a longer justification than that space allows,
put it on the Talk page.

>  Now I had barely finished wikifying
> for example Sysrq ( Now  https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/QA/Sysrq ) and
> was waiting for feed back from the community ( for example if it was
> simple/clear enough ) when it got yanked out of my personal space and
> dump where it resides now ( which probably not where the wiki admins
> want it to reside ).

That sounds strange, I didn't know anything about it happening at the
time. Who moved it? What was the rationale?

Having said that, that's probably an example of a page it's fine to just
create directly - it's not crucial enough to require drafting and formal
review, though of course it's always good to get other people's opinions
on the page if you can :)

> Either we create pages at will submit them when
> accepted they get move to the front then if a rewriting ( other than
> minor changes such as typo fixing etc ) occurs the individual that wants
> to rewrite the current page does so on his own name space and submits
> his changes or everybody hack everything everywhere on the wiki and
> constantly play wiki rewriting ping pong game of how their perception on
> how things should look/be written.

In practice, it's usually easy to compromise. Since everyone's basically
pointing in the same direction here, and it's easy to collaborate, that
kind of ping-ponging doesn't happen too often. When it does get started,
we can agree to bring both perspectives to a meeting or ML discussion
and decide on the best approach with the approval of the rest of the
group.

> One half says user your own namespace
> and submit your suggestion comment when changing.the other halfs says
> wanna change something on the wiki change it. I think the community
> needs to agree on which way it should be.

As I said, I don't think this is an area where there needs to be One
True Way. Different groups and different pages can take different
approaches. As long as the information gets out there in the end, it's
okay.

--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey