Re: dracut, or should booting a LiveCD touch the hard disk?

Chuck Anderson wrote:
> Should the LiveCD by default access and
> activate storage volumes, including encrypted partitions, on the hard
> disks?

There should be an easy and intuitive way to access the hard disks from the
live system. Whether unencrypted volumes are mounted at boot or on demand
doesn't matter much to me, as long as nothing is modified except on the user's
request. Encrypted volumes should be unlocked only on demand. Failing that, a
choice should be offered at boot.

> Should the LUKS prompts better identify the volume so that
> users know what passphrase to enter?

Absolutely! Asking for a passphrase and not specifying which passphrase is a
very bad idea.

Björn Persson