Opinions on packaging ATLAS (for the x86 architecture)

Jeff Spaleta jspaleta at gmail.com
Tue Oct 6 23:05:27 UTC 2009

On Tue, Oct 6, 2009 at 2:34 PM, Richard W.M. Jones <rjones at redhat.com> wrote:
> which is that we should avoid making permanent optimizations, and
> instead try to do runtime tests wherever possible.  This is because
> P2V, V2V and virtual machine migration makes it more likely that
> CPU features such as SSE* can change unexpectedly.

This is going to be pretty important for scientific workloads where
atlas is going to be used. I've eavesdropped on several conversations
where people were talking about being able to run off-the-shelf
science code virtual appliance in order to reduce the environment
configuration workload for an individual researcher.

-jef