Re: Retiring ksensors, possibly id3lib as well?

On 10/07/2009 03:25 PM, Eric Sandeen wrote:
Lyos Gemini Norezel wrote:

id3lib also needs to be looked at, as it's upstream has been defunct since March 2 2003.

This one might hurt more than ksensors will, since several programs depend on id3lib.

This is a list of the programs that require id3lib:
audio-convert-mod
easytag
tagtool
id3lib-devel
id3v2
gmediaserver
liblicense-modules
kid3
grip

The list is alot shorter than I thought it would be, but it's still enough to cause problems.

Is there anyone willing to take up upstream development of id3lib?
Is there a possible (more active) replacement for id3lib?
Is there a valid reason for continuing to carry such a defunct package in Fedora?

s/defunct/old/ - and yes there is a valid reason - 8 or so at least, see your list of packages above ;)

Heh... sure, but surely such software could be made to work with a piece of code that's more recent
than id3lib?

I'm more than happy to continue maintaining id3lib if there is a valid reason to do so,
but my reasons are more sentimental than valid logical reasoning.

So I turn to you to answer that question:
Is there valid, logical, reasoning to continue to support such old code?

Yes, because other useful packages depend on it IMHO.

I'll take it if you don't want to keep it, I think that library needs to live on in Fedora.

I'm happy to maintain it... though I could definitely use a coder as a co-maintainer, or,
really, anyone who wishes to help.

The problem I have with continuing such code, is both the lack of an upstream...
and the potential for security risks as this piece of code is left to rot.

I have neither the skills, nor the time to take over upstream, and software cannot
last/stay compatible forever.

-Eric

Lyos Gemini Norezel
begin:vcard
fn:Lyos Norezel
n:Norezel;Lyos
org:GBES, LLC
adr:;;;;Ohio;;United States
email;internet:Lyos GeminiNorezel gmail com
title:Computer Repair Technician
note;quoted-printable:"Those who hunt monsters beware, lest they become monsters themselves.Ify=
	ou stare long into the abyss, the abyss stares back into you." --Nietzsch=
	e=0D=0A=
	=0D=0A=
	Mundus Vult Decipi et Decipiatur -- Latin Proverb
version:2.1
end:vcard