thunderbird upgrade - wtf?

Jeff Garzik jgarzik at pobox.com
Sun Oct 11 04:07:43 UTC 2009

Just upgraded my F11 workstation, which included an upgrade to
thunderbird-3.0-2.7.b4.fc11.x86_64

Without any prompting or warning, my email layout -- a key interface
into my open source development workflow -- was changed to use something
called "smart folders".

Also annoying, though of less impact to me personally, was the decision
(again, without prompting or warning) to index all of my email -- of
which there is a considerable amount.

Now, I'm sure smart folders are a nifty new feature, but where was the
warning about this upgrade?  Why was this done late in F11, rather than F12?

IMO, major MUA upgrades should be handled better than this.

	Jeff