thunderbird upgrade - wtf?

Rahul Sundaram sundaram at fedoraproject.org
Sun Oct 11 16:19:04 UTC 2009

On 10/11/2009 09:45 PM, Michael Cronenworth wrote:

> So.... never ship beta software? That nixes a lot of Fedora packages.

Whether to include a beta or not should be decided on a case by case
basis. It is a good idea to avoid those but if there are substantial
benefits, it is fine. The focal point of the discussion isn't what it
originally include but how the software changes in updates. Do you use
thunderbird as your main mail client? If so, did you find the changes in
the update not disruptive for you?

> Heavily patch all TB 3.0 to act like TB 2.0? That seems silly, don't you
> think?
>
> This is *not* the right forum. There is a right forum[1].
>
> [1]
> http://www.mozilla.org/community/developer-forums.html#dev-apps-thunderbird

We aren't talking about upstream development however.  It is the
responsibility of the thunderbird package maintainers in Fedora to avoid
updates that prevents the mail client from being usable for a
substantial amount of time and changes the UI in a unexplained way. The
modifications required to avoid those would have been rather simple.

Rahul