thunderbird upgrade - wtf?

Christopher Aillon caillon at redhat.com
Tue Oct 13 13:56:09 UTC 2009

On 10/12/2009 11:43 PM, Jeff Garzik wrote:
> On 10/13/2009 01:58 AM, Christopher Aillon wrote:

>>> Oh please. Expecting all Fedora thunderbird users to keep track of
>>> upstream development of software included in Fedora is totally
>>> ridiculous. The package maintainer made the judgement to include a beta
>>> release of thunderbird. If major UI or other behaviour changes were
>>> expected to follow in later revisions, it would have been wise to not
>>> include the beta release in the first place. Otherwise, it would have
>>> been easy enough to disable those couple of features we are talking
>>> about in the update and avoid the hassle for users.
>>
>> The changes were not expected. Actually, the fact that TB3 is still in
>> beta was not expected, since it was supposed to be released as a final
>> within a week of FF35. Clearly, things haven't been going as planned for
>> upstream and that's had an effect on Fedora, too. While the changes are
>> unfortunate, they have gone through testing, and I'll note that
>

> er, huh? What does that mean?
>
> If testing had been done, then why were these two _blindingly obvious_
> behavior changes pushed to F11?
>
> Where did the process break down, then?
>
> Did the package maintainer think that UI and indexing changes in the
> middle of a stable Fedora release are acceptable, general practice?
>
> The indexing change has created a new wrinkle, too: I separate my work
> and non-work email for LEGAL reasons. Now the index has smushed those
> two together. Lovely, fscking lovely...

The UI change was obvious, but as it was upstream's decision, and we
follow upstream, didn't think much of it.  In retrospect, we should have
considered undoing that change.  We are looking into that now.

Not everyone had issues with the indexing so that seemed to slip past
testing.  It was a change, but didn't seem to disrupt things, so we let
it slide.

We are looking at reverting both in F11.