thunderbird upgrade - wtf?

Christopher Aillon caillon at redhat.com
Tue Oct 13 14:10:52 UTC 2009

On 10/12/2009 11:18 PM, Rahul Sundaram wrote:
> On 10/13/2009 11:28 AM, Christopher Aillon wrote:
>>
>> The changes were not expected.  Actually, the fact that TB3 is still in
>> beta was not expected, since it was supposed to be released as a final
>> within a week of FF35.  Clearly, things haven't been going as planned
>> for upstream and that's had an effect on Fedora, too.  While the changes
>> are unfortunate, they have gone through testing, and I'll note that
>> Thunderbird is _NOT_ the default mail client in Fedora, so it won't
>> impact the majority of Fedora users.  None of this is any excuse for
>> things, but are important to consider when casting stones.
>
> I am not casting stones. Just frustrated at Fedora updates frequently
> causing problems. Was disabling those two features by default in the
> update considered?

No, because they didn't cause problems for us or anyone in testing, and
the changes were not expected to cause much of an issue.  The UI change
was obvious, but we had no problem with it, and did not expect an uproar
over it.  The indexer works for some people without issue, but
apparently not for all people without issue.  It's unfortunate that the
people who tried it after it was pushed live were the ones affected, but
them's the breaks.  As I said, we're looking at what we can do for both
issues in F11.